My kitchen is on the small side , so I can’t keep a lot of unnecessary, one-use gadgets lying around. This challenge of limited space kept me from making waffles for a long time, until I purchased some lovely silicone waffle molds that were easy to wash and took up less space than a waffle maker.
These waffles check all of my culinary boxes as they are all at once crispy, fluffy, airy and hearty. I usually serve them with real maple syrup, fresh fruit, coconut whipped cream or peanut butter and agave. This is a recipe that you can whip up in minutes and is perfect for Sunday brunch.
The recipe calls for regular whole milk, but feel free to use almond or soy milk if you want to make it vegan. I love the extra layer of flavor the coconut oil provides in the recipe, but if you only have butter, you can use that instead. Sometimes I also add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to jazz it up.
This recipe makes enough batter for eight silicone waffle molds. Each waffle gets approximately a quarter cup of waffle batter. Adjust batter amount according to your waffle maker directions. Top with traditional toppings of your choice, or serve for dinner with Southern fried chicken on top. Enjoy!
Sunday Brunch Waffles
A crispy-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside waffle recipe perfect for a Sunday brunch with family or friends.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons organic cane sugar, or other sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- In a seperate bowl combine milk, water, olive oil, vanilla.
- Mix everything together and quickly add melted coconut oil. (If your batter is a little thick, feel free to add another 1-2 tablespoons of water.)
- Cook batter according to your waffle maker instructions.
*If using waffle molds to make your waffles, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thoroughly grease molds and pour 1/4 cup batter into each waffle mold. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and crispy.